You might have heard a lot of jargon about digital marketing, content marketing, social media marketing, and SEO. In this article, we will specifically discuss how & where you should begin with content marketing for a firm.
Content marketing is about sending your customers the right message at the right time, not just for the sake of getting clicks. It motivates the prospect to understand the brand message and make an easy purchasing decision. So follow these steps to accomplish your brand’s content goals:
1. Define Marketing objectives and performance goals: Before you begin your path to success, decide your marketing objectives clearly… these include whom you want to reach, what benefits your brand is offering, what the message of your campaign is, and which platform you want to pursue to spread your message? Then decide how you are going to measure the performance of your campaign. This can be done by examining sales growth, traffic to the website, the ranking of the website, and the number of searches.
2. Know your current condition: Most brands have some sort of presence to communicate to their customer that could be social media, blogs, videos, or their own website. Before you start pumping out content analyze your current situation (i.e. which content is working, where the flaws are, and which content will fill such gaps).
To optimize website content, try using Screaming Frog. It has great options to optimize title, URL, Meta description, H1 & H2 tags and will help find issues accordingly. Similarly, for keyword assessment, you can use Alexa, to find the best keyword suitable for your brand or product.
3. Study your customer base: Profiling your customers then catering the content to their needs will help your brand establish the right message to the right people. Use Google Trends for finding the right keywords needed in your particular region. Use Alexa for identifying visitor demographics, use FollowerWonk for Twitter audience profiling & lastly you can use Similarweb to know which platform drives your consumer most. These tools will make your journey in content marketing very easy.
4. Keep a check on your competitors: This includes knowing what your competitor is doing to be in the leading position and which platform is driving traffic for their target audience. Using Google Analytics or any other web analytics tool will help you to find where your target customer is, and then accordingly design your content for that platform which seems to be effective as per your performance goals.
5. Finalize the content type: At the end, you need to finalize which content is most suited for your target customer such as videos, books, blog posts, and webinars etc. To decide, you must use the above analytics tools, keeping in mind your goals and the budget you can invest in the right content.
6. Follow your content calendar: This involves sending the right message at right time and engaging your target audience. You don’t want to miss important communication during festivals and holidays. Keeping a calendar of when to publish your content will help achieve your target more effectively. You can follow a routine which suits you, using a yearly or monthly calendar. Just remember to keep it updated with the changes in your message to the audience.
7. Content creation: Following the 7A framework can help your brand to create good content. A lot of ad agencies and marketing gurus follow this strict content strategy. Keeping content agile will help you send the right message to customers, depending on their changing needs. However, some exploration to understand your audience should also be done. Content should be authentic, unique and engaging.
8. Delivering the message and measuring your performance: A final step in content marketing would be to decide which medium to use to distribute content – email, social media posts, or videos -after which you can post. If you find any gaps, tweak your content again & repeat.
Content marketing needs to go beyond click bait. It needs to be about getting sustained and increased attention from customers. Also engaging with customers on a popular platform will help to build long-lasting relationships with them.
Content should be written in a way that compels the audience to relate and take action. This action will generate sales. So, while on this path take note of the above points to ensure your business becomes successful.
Michelle is Co-Founder at GoogleSpider, with a demonstrated career in advertising and marketing for the last 8 years!